Boiler gaskets are used throughout a boiler as a sealing material. They can be found on both the waterside and the fireside of the heat exchanger. Ideal gaskets share some common traits:
- Seal upon installation
- Seat at low compressive stress
- Stabilize immediately (without any relaxation over time)
- Resist against creep and hot/cold flow
- Low compression set
- Seal fugitive emissions (those not visible)
- Withstand high pressurization
- Constructed of high temperature materials
- Chemically resistant to feed-water treatments
There are two types of gaskets used in boilers, which can be labeled soft and hard.
- Constructed of low temperature materials
- Extremely high compression set
- Not impervious to all feed-water chemicals
- Can extrude during installation or high pressure service
- Susceptible to shearing if mis-aligned
- Creeps over time
- Woven designs are not impermeable
- Not fire safe
- Very difficult to obtain initial seat with low loading
- Very little recovery due to design
- Low flexibility to conform to shell radii
- Potential to spring during handling
- High relaxation/ Low stability due to design
- Geometry allow relaxation potential
- We specialize in all boiler gaskets. We can help find the correct gasket for all boiler types.
- Fireside Boiler
- Waterside boiler
- Topog-e boiler
- Spiral Wound
- Standard Style M
Topog-e boiler gaskets are just one of the many gasket designs available through P. C. McKenzie Company. These gaskets have been in service since they were first released over 30 years ago. They are peroxide cured EPDM molded gaskets and are rated to 380 degree F and 180 psi steam. They carry a durrometer rating of 80-85 so shearing and over-tightening maybe a concern.
Spiral Wound – for boiler cap and manhole cover assemblies.
Gaskets for boiler handhole, tubecap and manhole covers incorporating the unique Flexitallic spiral wound profile and specially manufactured with Flexicarb filler, are ideal for corrosive, high pressure or temperature duties.
Standard Style M – Round, Obround, Oval
Style T Pear – Round, Obround, Oval, Rectangle, Diamond, Pear
Style T Square – Square